- City of Lovington population: 9693 (2006 American Fact Finder)
- Lea County population: 56,719 (2006 American Fact Finder)
- Elevation: 3,600 feet
- Summer Average Temperature: 79.3 degrees
- Winter Average Temperature: 41.2 degrees
- Annual Average Precipitation: 14.9"
- Sunshine Days per Year: 320
- Economic Base: Ranching, state/county and city government, oil field and dairy industries.
The City of Lovington's animal control and code enforcement officers are happy to serve the citizens of Lovington. The employees of this department protect our community by enforcing our animal and nuisance ordinances, while at the same time keeping the safety, health, and welfare of people and animals a priority. They provide these actions through enhancing public awareness and enforcement action, with the ultimate goal being that of compliance by our citizens. In early 2011, the City purchased the Lovington Veterinary Clinic located on the Lovington Highway. This facility not only allows our officer to house lost or abandoned animals, but also serves our community as a place to adopt out these same animals when possible. Individuals interested in adopting an animal should contact one of our animal control and code enforcement officers. You may also see what animals are available for adoption by visiting their Facebookpage. The City of Lovington also has identified a need for veterinary services in our community and entered into a contract with Dorothy Hornback, DVM to provide these vital services to our community.