- City of Lovington population: 9693 (2006 American Fact Finder)
- Lea County population: 56,719 (2006 American Fact Finder)
- Elevation: 3,600 feet
- Summer Average Temperature: 79.3 degrees
- Winter Average Temperature: 41.2 degrees
- Annual Average Precipitation: 14.9"
- Sunshine Days per Year: 320
- Economic Base: Ranching, state/county and city government, oil field and dairy industries.
Lea County Humane Society is a non-profit organization affiliated with the Humane Society of the United States. Established in 1950, the Lea County Humane Society is a group of volunteers working for the wellness of all animals in Lea County, New Mexico. A board of directors sets its policies and oversees its daily operations. In January 2010, LCHS entered into a contractual partnership with the City of Hobbs, New Mexico. Headquartered at the Hobbs Animal Adoption Center, LCHS is involved in daily operations: all facets of adoption, including outreach rescue programming; intake of strays; provision of food, water and shelter; socialization; and assistance in veterinary care such as vaccinations, spaying and neutering. In addition, LCHS informs the public about the ramifications of animal cruelty, the consequences of neglect, and the benefits of proper care for all animals in Lea County.